In our body we have 7 spinning orbs of energy called chakras. They start at the base of our spine and move up to our crown with the seventh one being located in the head. Each chakra is represented by a different colour, symbol and sound. If our charkras spin widely out of control or become sluggish and blocked we can become out of control or stuck mentally or physically. Yoga helps move the energy freely around these spinning orbs, keeping everything in balance. So if you want to annoy your friend or Mother in law consult this handy chart below and you can then tell them what chakra they have blocked and how to fix it. Good luck with that. However don’t go to the Doctor and tell them your root chakra needs unblocking, you may not make it home.
1. Root Chakra – Represents our foundation and feeling of being grounded.
- Location: Base of spine in tailbone area.
- Emotional issues: Survival issues such as financial independence, money, and food.
- To help get this chakra in balance- stomp up and down on the ground with your feet. You need to establish a firm connection with the earth
2. Sacral Chakra – Our connection and ability to accept others and new experiences.
- Location: Lower abdomen, about 2 inches below the navel and 2 inches in.
- Emotional issues: Sense of abundance, well-being, pleasure, sexuality.
- Cobra pose or pelvic thrusting should sort this one out.
3. Solar Plexus Chakra – Our ability to be confident and in-control of our lives.
- Location: Upper abdomen in the stomach area.
- Emotional issues: Self-worth, self-confidence, self-esteem.
- Try boat pose and wild dancing to stimulate the solar plexus
4. Heart Chakra – Our ability to love.
- Location: Center of chest just above heart.
- Emotional issues: Love, joy, inner peace.
- Your ability to love openly without expecting anything in return will help you balance this chakra
5. Throat Chakra – Our ability to communicate.
- Location: Throat.
- Emotional issues: Communication, self-expression of feelings, the truth.
- Singing out loud, or shoulder stand will align the throat area.
6. Third Eye Chakra – Our ability to focus on and see the big picture.
- Location: Forehead between the eyes. (Also called the Brow Chakra)
- Emotional issues: Intuition, imagination, wisdom, ability to think and make decisions.
- Child’s pose or any forward folds will help keep your third eye from over blinking.
7. Crown Chakra – The highest Chakra represents our ability to be fully connected spiritually.
- Location: The very top of the head.
- Emotional issues: Inner and outer beauty, our connection to spirituality, pure bliss.
- Meditation or cardio work is the way to iron out the bumps for the crown chakra.
Practice for Today: Do you feel blocked in any of these areas? Have a look at the emotional issues that these blockages can cause and then take action today to get things back on an even keel.
Bibliography, some information taken from mind body green.